The FCC has temporarily halted 7 minor unprofitable boiler rooms who will receive a slap on the wrist and be back at it within a few days. In the meantime the calls will continue since they are making money with what is called a CNAM revenue-sharing program through companies like http://www.telephonemanagement.net and http://www.CallerID4U.com
In their own words: 'Every day your company makes thousands of outbound phone calls. Every one of those calls generates revenue for many companies, why not yours? Our CNAM revenue-sharing program helps you make money every time a Caller ID request is made by a phone carrier. A high-traffic call center can lose hundreds to thousands of dollars a day to phone carriers by allowing them to charge for access to your own data.'
You can now see why the criminals keep calling even though they know you won't fall for their scam. They are making money even if you don't answer the phone. If someone does make the mistake of answering the phone and falling for their con then it is just icing on the cake for them.
What To Do When You Get an Illegal Robocall; http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/robocalls
1. Hang Up. Do not press 1 or any other numbers to get off the list and NEVER call them back
2. Consider blocking the number or on a cell phone add it to a contact list and assign NO ring tone
3. Report it at http://www.fcc.gov/complaints
4. Report it at https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov
5. People should continually file complaints with their Attorney Generals office
Register your phone numbers online at http://www.donotcall.gov or call 888-382-1222
(must call from # you want removed).
There is a blog site that has information on one of these operations: http://telemarketerspam.wordpress.com